Here is a great vegetarian pie from BBC Good Food that you can easily serve at Easter along with a crunchy green salad.
Perfect timing as leeks are currently in season.
It feels like Spring yet has this comfort food feeling which is great for the cold weather we are expecting.
- 2 onions , halved and sliced
- 50g butter , melted, plus extra for frying
- 250g leeks , sliced
- 500g hard goat’s cheese (I like Ribblesdale or Ribblesdale blue), cut into dice
- 250g young leaf spinach , chopped
- 12 sheets of filo pastry
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan160C/gas 4. Cook the onions in a little butter until golden and caramelised, about 10-15 minutes. Fry the leeks in a knob of butter until soft. Season well.
- Mix the onions, leeks, cheese, spinach and some seasoning in a bowl. Butter a large baking dish, lay 3 sheets filo on the bottom, buttering each layer (trim if you need to).
- Put 1/3 of the leek mix on top of the filo and add a further 3 layers of pastry. Add another 1/3 of the mixture with 3 more layers of filo, and finally add the last of the mixture and finish with the last 3 layers of the pastry and lots of butter. Score a criss-cross pattern on the top, then bake for about 30-40 minutes until crisp and golden.