Superfood Broccoli is in season. Here is a quick and delicious recipe via Vegetarian Times that makes a perfect midweek dinner.
Broccoli is high in vitamin C, dietary fiber and is renown for its anti-cancer properties.
- 6 Tbs. blanched hazelnuts, plus more for garnish, optional
- 300g broccoli florets
- 1 small bunch of parsley leaves
- 60ml of olive oil plus 2 Tbs., plus more for drizzling, optional
- 1 small bunch of mint leaves
- 4 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 ½ tsp. capers, rinsed and drained, optional
- 5 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 340g farfalle pasta
1. Toast hazelnuts in skillet 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden, shaking skillet often. Cool, coarsely chop, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to a boil. Cook broccoli in boiling water 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender. Remove with slotted spoon. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Drain again.
3. Pulse hazelnuts, broccoli, parsley, oil, mint, lemon juice, lemon zest, capers (if using), and garlic in food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Cook farfalle according to package directions in broccoli cooking water. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water before draining. Toss farfalle with pesto and pasta cooking water. Garnish with toasted hazelnuts, if using, and drizzle with olive oil, if desired.